Sunday, August 16, 2009

Friday Flummox



Q1) Something to do with the place on the map that I am
looking for...get the place...and then a person associated with that
place...to be more precise...

Q2) This dude came with an idea for offering excursions while waiting for
his train on the London Road at Kibworth. With the opening of the
extended Midland Counties Railway in the UK, he arranged to take a
group of 570 campaigners from Leicester railway station to a rally.
Among other achievements, he is credited to have developed the product
"traveller's cheque". Now this should become a sitter.

Q3) This actor spent his early life in Canada. Holds a dual Canadian/US
citizenship. Is fluent in French. Was an accomplished tennis player at
the junior level and played tennis with Jennifer Capriati. Having had
a modest career in films, more recently appeared in sitcoms Ally
McBeal and Scrubs. Has also done voiceovers for "the Simpsons".
Identify.

Q4) My resume reads as follows:
Member of the British Empire. Inhabitant of Bedrock. Winner, Beard
Liberation Front's Beard of the Year Award (some year). Winner of
Compton Miller Medal. I am?

Q5) I am a Secret-Keeper who betrayed my friends. I framed someone
else for my crime (betrayal leading to the death of my friends). I
spied on the Order for 'him'. I murdered 12 innocents and faked my own
death. I assisted 'him' in getting a new body. My name is....

Q6) They called me a 'Rebel Without a Cause'. I made my first TV
appearance in a Pepsi commerical. While struggling to get a break in
the showbiz world, I also worked as a parking lot attendant at CBS
Studios. In the early 50s, following my mentor's advice I moved to NY
city and enrolled myself at Lee Strasberg School of acting. I remain
the only actor to have two posthumous Best Actor nominations at the
Academy. I died while speeding in my car, a Porsche 550. If it serves
as a hint, I also feature in the anthemic "We Didn't Start the
Fire".....I am?

Q7) I have studied under Nobel Prize winners Milton Friedman and Paul
Samuelson. I received my Master's Degree at the University of Chicago
and PhD Degree at MIT, both in economics. I did my post-doctoral work
in Mathematics at Harvard University and in behavioral science at the
University of Chicago. Jack Welch and Bill Gates were 1 and 2 on a
list released by the Financial Times of which I was the 4th ranked
individual. I recently stated my premise that the rise of rural India
is the major growth driver for the Indian economy and 2 things that
can propel rural India would be micro-finance and distribution of
cheap computers to the villages. I am?

Q8) Hailing from the fictional world, I am acknowledged to be a creator
and inventor who embodies the power of the individual capitalist. I
serve as an idealistic counterpoint to the social and economic
structure depicted in a fictional world. Legend has it that I secretly
organized a strike by the world's creative leaders, including
inventors, artists and businessmen, in an effort to "stop the motor of
the world," thereby bringing about the collapse of collectivist
society. People draw parallels between my character and Prometheus,
King Arthur and Jesus Christ. If it helps you, the question which
seeks my identity has almost become legend in itself. And if it helps
the gamers, this question is also one of the cheats in Age of Empires
or AOE. :)

Q9) I was born in New Jersey to Jewish Hungarian parents. Me and my close
friend from childhood were known as "Tom and Jerry". We met in
elementary school in the early 50s, when we both appeared in a school
play 'Alice in Wonderland'. I played the White Rabbit while my friend
played the Cheshire Cat. I was once stranded overnight on a railway
platform after mis-reading the timetable. It was here that I penned
down my thoughts and created one of my most famous works. Having had
multiple breakups with my artistic partner, we finally agreed to come
together and perform the opening act at the Grammy Awards some years
ago when we also received our Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. I am?

1 comment:

  1. 1. Bartholomew Diaz (The map showed the Cape of Good Hope...you
    could've googled Kap Der Guten Hoffnung.....the first European to have
    discovered the route around the Cape of Good Hope.....)
    2. Thomas Cook (The dude started his idea of doing railway excursions
    on the London Rail network charging a nominal fee as his commission.
    With the opening up of the Midland County rail, his idea took off and
    he got into the excursion and travel business. The rest as they say is
    history. Founded the world's premier travel and tour company. Also
    pioneered the concept of traveler's cheques which were launched by
    Amex.)
    3. Mathew Perry
    4. Andrew Flintoff (Freddie is his nickname based on supposed
    resemblance to Fred Flintstone....MBE, Compton Miller medal given to
    the MVP in the Ashes in memory of legends Dennis Compton(Eng) and
    Arthur Miller(Aus).....won it in 2005 for England's triumph....played
    for Chennai Super Kings....awesome Chennai....probably why Omi cracked
    this one...
    5. Peter Pettigrew (obvious to Potter fans)
    6. James Dean (Hollywood legend, cracked well by Pari....We Didnt
    start the fire lyrics go like these....Eisenhower,James Dean,
    Brooklyn's got a winning team.........that song is like a quizzer's
    ballad :P)
    7. Philip Kotler (Rated #4 on the world's Management Gurus by
    Financial Times in 2001)
    8. John Galt (Antagonist of Ayn Rand's legendary Atlas
    Shrugged.....Who is John Galt? is the legendary question.....and a
    cheat code in AOE....
    9. Simon (i.e. Paul Simon) from Simon and Garfunkel. Some hints in that one. Simon penned the song Homeward Bound while sitting at the railway station.

    1 Bartholomew
    2 Thomas
    3 Matthew
    4 Andrew
    5 Peter
    6 James
    7 Philip
    8 John
    9 Simon

    There are 3 more that were not on that list....2 more actually...since
    there were two Jameses in this list..... one James was called James
    the Younger or James the Less....

    Was thinking of including a question on popular metal band Judas
    Priest....but was unsure if any of you heard of them....Thaddaeus was
    the last one...but couldn't quite frame a question for him :)

    The connect is the Twelve Apostles of Christ...

    ReplyDelete